Oct 22, 2012

Fashion focus on: Downton Abbey


Since mid-September, my Sundays have been filled with the best live-streamed television on this side of the Atlantic. Don't worry, no spoiler alerts here - if you're not already watching, you'll just have to catch up in January when it finally hits PBS. I wish I had that kind of self control for Downton, but whatever, I can admit it I don't!
Season 3 has already proven itself to be one of the best yet coming from the Grantham clan and last week's episode (which I missed and had to watch the repeat yesterday) made me crazy for it even more.  Oh the drama is just too good! 
In addition to the 27 Emmy nominations, one for the cast's fashion designer herself, Susannah Buxton (who is no longer with the show), the fashion world has simultaneously started crushing on Downton Abbey with the rest of America and collections showcasing the romance and heritage of England started making their ways down the runway. Case in point, Ralph Lauren's Fall 2012 collection showcased 'modern glamour and refined elegance inspired by the timeless characters' of the show. Not to mention, the models walked down the catwalk to the show's opening theme music. The brand will also become the show's first TV sponsorship for Masterpiece on PBS starting in January. I'm pretty confident that this will be a continuing surge of popularity among designers. Who can resist?
 Season 3 opens in the beginning of the 1920's and the styles of the clothing change considerably as the season goes on. Of course, since season 2 ended with a proposal, you'd have to assume that season 3 begins with a wedding... and that my friend's means a wedding dress
I won't kill you any longer with the subtle hints about the new season, you can find all those on the trailer that has been running on PBS, (told you I wouldn't spoil anything), but let's change our focus onto the fashion of the greatest show to be currently running on television. Le sigh!
The pomp!
The circumstance!
The casual!
The elegance!
The distinction!
The hats!
The silk!
The embellishments!
All photos credit to: http://downton-is-life.tumblr.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment