Nov 30, 2012

Winter wedding attire


We're headed to some nuptials next weekend up in New Jersey. We've been lucky enough here down south to be experiencing a somewhat mild winter. It's only been a few months since we've moved, but I gladly forget what it's like to be in 40 degrees minus wind-chill. Not to mention, I am now faced with the dreaded question, what the heck do I wear to a winter wedding?! The answer is always going to be no tights or pantyhose, so how do I resist freezing my buns off while shuffling between church and reception venue?
I also don't own any shruggy-type things, but it's not like that would keep my cold blooded self warm anyways. I did attend a wedding last February in New York, and in that negative degree weather, it was completely acceptable to be in my long wool trench. I stripped that thing off at the coat check as soon as we entered the hotel. Being that all of the events took place inside helped with the attire. This time, I'm not so lucky.
I'm a sucker for black-on-black-on-black when it comes to weddings. Obviously, when attending a Spring or Summer event, you don't want to look like you're mourning the couple's vows. With warmer weather comes the cute dresses. No problemo! Once the weather hits under 70 degrees, the debacle ensues. It's no longer acceptable to dress in sandals and strapless frocks. See, this is why I had a wedding in June.... in Mexico. The fact that it was 100 degrees during it is a story for another day. 
This wedding, I'm pulling out my black plan as well, since any shoe choice is at my discretion. That's the beauty of black! Throw on some jewels, but... then what? The part that stumps me. Do I dress in layers? A blazer can keep my arms from being exposed to the elements when getting in and out of the car between locations. Do I wear my wool coat and have to lug it around once I take it off? I won't even discuss how it attracts every floating piece of lint in a 50mile radius. 
What. Do. I. Wear?
I know you all say, GOOGLE. I have, and they seem to forget about the coats as well. I guess you just make do. You wear your coat like every other sane person there, and give it to coat check when you get inside the reception. Have I told you, I hate coats? Word to the wise, try not get married in extreme cold weather conditions go forward. Xo


2 comments:

  1. Thankfully the weather this weekend ended up being a little milder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather was the perfect temp, M :)

    ReplyDelete