Jan 10, 2013

Health kick

Being that we always evaluate our health at the start of every new year, I, like everyone else, took a look to see what I could do to better my energy, keep the skin glowing, and feed the tummy with healthy alternatives. I've already done things to aid my healthy lifestyle starting back in 2012, and this year I will continue them since I've now become so accustomed that I can't live without them. Here they are:
String Cheese - I eat way too much cheese for my own good, but I'm always on the run and throwing one of these in my front seat or purse saves me when I'm suddenly starving but can't stand the thought of fast food. My hair appointments are notorious for running over (and into my lunch) so packing one of these makes it so much easier to pull out when I'm sitting in the chair. They're filling (as cheese is), they're convenient, and they're pretty healthy for you... packing calcium, protein and only 50 calories. 

KIND bars (fruit&nut w/ yogurt)  - I'm not a big breakfast person and can't stand to eat anything prior to 9am. This is counterproductive seeing that a good breakfast dictates the rest of your day. So, when my 10am belly rumbles start, I reach for one of these bars. They're delicious and packed with all kinds of healthy things.. fruit, nuts, calcium. They hold me over until at least 1pm for lunch, and I don't feel guilty eating them like I would a pop-tart. They also don't make you feel sluggish and full like an egg sandwich or a bagel would. Sometimes, when I wasn't feeling for lunch, I'd even eat one then. Late, unexpected meeting cutting into your meal-time, so no time to use the microwave for your leftovers? Pop these into your bag and you can sneak it during that 20hr pow-wow about nothing. They're perfect, really.

Water w/ lime - I'm not a big drinker, period. It's not my thing, and just to put it into perspective, I can eat a whole meal and not wash it down. Weird, yes? Well, this also leads to terrible things happening in my body, some painful and some related to fatigue. Ever since I've realized how great I feel when I drink water, and had access to filtered water whether at work or at home, I've become such a huge advocate of it. Since it still takes a lot for me to finish a tumbler of water, I started adding a splash of fresh lime and lime rings into it to give it some flavor. I now drink over 64oz's of water a day and holy cow can I feel the difference. Not only does it help your skin look flawless, but your body is capable of doing so much more when it's not dehydrated. All your little organs are lubricated for production and it actually curbs hunger for when you get the mid-afternoon munchies that kill your healthy lifestyle. (Those Cheez-it's in the machine are not calling your name!)

B-stress Formula Complex vitamin - This vitamin was recommended to me by a doctor when I was having health issues related to stress. Job stress, life stress, moving stress, living in NYC stress.... I was a hot mess. B-complex basically helps restore the B vitamins into the body. When you're over stressed, the B vitamins you get normally from food don't stay in the body and become depleted, decreasing the body's ability to cope with new stress. When you take a supplement like this one and follow a healthy diet, it helps to restore balance and energy. The key here is that when you're not stressed, you don't really need to take this since your body should naturally be able to maintain the B vitamins you are intaking whether from your multi-vitamin or diet. These little pills worked wonders for me in 2012 (super stressful time), and I still keep a stash for when my body feels like it's taking on too much.

Naked drinks - I buy these in bulk in my 2 favorite flavors, Green Machine and Orange Mango (for my vitamin C intake). I started out grabbing the small bottles while I was out running errands because I've developed a terrible habit throughout my design career of forgetting to eat. When I'm doing 20 things at once, I have the tendency to either eat really sh*tty (cookies? bagels? donuts?) or just chew gum until my teeth hurt. I come out of my stupor at 3pm and want to eat the entire fridge. Now I just run to the cold section of any store and take one of these babies on the go. Since September though, I've started adding them to my daily morning routine. I buy in bulk, and make sure to have an 8oz glass as part of my breakfast every day to get my day started with some great nutrients. The best part that I love is that they taste amazing and they also pack in some crazy "Dr. Oz"-type ingredients that do your body good. I couldn't live without them.

So, I've developed some pretty good habits but there's always room for improvement. This year I want to cut back on my wine consumption... I know, "what are you crazy?!" and make sure I have more fluffy, green vegetables on my plate at every single meal. I grocery shop for our house, and I'm really big on only bringing in things that are natural, without artificial sweeteners or preservatives and when there's a low-fat alternative, I always choose that one. It's not hard to do and I feel better knowing what we're eating and what healthy habits we're developing as a family.
I love hearing about new healthy lifestyle choices that I can incorporate into my life. What are some that you and your family share?


No comments:

Post a Comment